THE FIFTH CONGRESS OF HCM TESOL ASSOCIATION
THE FIFTH CONGRESS OF HCM TESOL ASSOCIATION
“ELT Business in Vietnam: Reflections from Managers”
On 22 September 2018 – Ho Chi Minh City, Ho Chi Minh City TESOL Association (HCM TESOL Association) held the Fifth Congress during incumbency from 2018 to 2021 with the participation of numerous members and guests who were teachers, lecturers, top research and English teaching experts, administrators and managers from language centers.
The congress aimed to sum up and evaluate HCM TESOL Association’s activities in the incumbency from 2015 to 2018 as well as to set targets, directions, innovative solutions for the association’s activities during incumbency from 2018 to 2021, which would all contribute towards enhancing the quality of English teaching and learning as well as building a solid TESOL community in HCM City in particular and in Vietnam in general.
Following on, during incumbency from 2015 to 2018, HCM TESOL Association organized, associated and co-hosted a number of science seminars, colloquiums, meetings about English teaching and learning methods and skills, innovative changes at some domestic universities such as HCM University of Social Sciences and Humanities, HCM University of Pegadogy, HCM University of Economics and Finance, Tan Tao University, etc. and international universities/organizations such as RMIT, Arizona State University. Those events took place on a regular basis and received a considerable interest from teachers, lecturers and students in Vietnam and other countries.
Furthermore, during the term from 2015 to 2018, HCM TESOL Association successfully organized 17 training courses for English teaching methodology, granted TESOL diplomas for nearly 200 young learners who were proficient at English and passionate about teaching. Especially, there was great appreciation for the quality of the graduates as most of them then got accepted for teaching at professional educational organizations and prestigious English centers and by which helped upgrade English teachers’ standard.
One outstanding activity in the congress was the seminar whose topic was “ELT Business in Vietnam: Reflections from Managers”. This was the opportunity for HCM TESOL Association members and guests to exchange and update new trends, unconventional methods for modern English teaching and learning. Specifically, what members and guests were particularly concerned about was the discussion session in which questions got be answered and real-life experience of ELT Business had a room to be shared by the specialists, founders and managers.
As regards the work plan for the 2018-2021 term, HCM TESOL Association also proposed:
– Strongly developing professional training activities: TESOL training, teaching methods, and talks on special subjects for English learners.
– Developing scientific researching activities and supporting English teachers to register and develop research topics in the field of English teaching.
– Developing a network providing trained English teachers for schools and English centers as well.
– Enhancing the efficiency of the Association’s website and aiming to publish a professional English teaching journal.
– Co-operating with Department of Education and Training of Ho Chi Minh City to improve the quality of English teaching and learning in Ho Chi Minh City by carrying out a variety of activities. Specifically, the research into English teaching and learning oriention in accordance with the needs for economic and social development for all grades Ho Chi Minh City is to be conducted.
– Organizing English contests for students at all levels.
- Information about HCM TESOL Association:
– HCM TESOL Association was established by the People’s Committee of Ho Chi Minh City in accordance with Decision 5544 / QD-UBND, dated 28 October 2005. It is the leading society-occupation organization in the field of English studying and teaching in Vietnam, under the management of Department of Education and Training of Ho Chi Minh City and Department of Home Affairs of Ho Chi Minh City.
– HCM TESOL Association was established in order to update new regional and worldwide achievements in the field of English teaching, which helped members to improve the content of the program and curriculum, better teaching methodology, assess and take the quality of English teaching and learning to the next level; to popularize the knowledge; to provide essential information; to train English teaching skills through the organization of seminars, conferences, etc. for members; to consult with and make recommendations for Department of Education and Training on issues related to the field of English teaching in the city.
- Contact Info:
– PhD. Do Huu Nguyen Loc, Vice President of HCM TESOL Association.
– Mobile: 0909 260 385